Our work is focused on helping home care workers complete training and education programs. We collect data and rigorously measure success. Our impact is measured not only in the data, but in the lives we change when students improve patient care, earn a diploma, complete a college program or receive a new credential, such as a Registered Nurse (RN) license.
Our Impact in 2016
- As of January 2016, the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund reported 65,572 active members working in home care.
- 78% of those members worked more than 80 hours per month in a six-month period and were eligible for the Fund’s education benefits.
- Over 20,000 home care workers are served by the Fund annually through inquiries, assessment tests and orientations. Of those, 11,467 home care workers attended programs from January 1 to December 31, 2016. That’s 22% of the Fund’s eligible and active members.
- Most of our members live in Brooklyn, followed by the Bronx.
- The majority of the workforce is between 56 and 65 years of age.
- The majority of the workforce are immigrants, many of whom are healthcare professionals in their country of origin.